YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world next to Google, and is the largest search engine for videos. Now that people have been using their smart devices more than ever, YouTube video consumption has been growing astronomically in the past few months. This is a great time for creators to publish videos and possibly make a living off it! Simply uploading your videos won’t get you views overnight. By implementing these effective SEO tips, you can rank your videos in organic results better.
It’s not about making a YouTube channel, but creating a brand. When you subscribe to a YouTube channel in a particular niche, you will notice videos that are relevant only for that category. For instance, a fitness channel will focus on creating content relating to health and workouts.
Give your channel an identity first by creating a unique logo that attracts viewers. Creating social media accounts with the same logo will also improve the chances of getting more views. Always focus on making high quality audio and video that encourage viewers to keep watching for long. Most importantly, don’t beat around the bush and get straight to the point in your videos.
Choose a Keyword:
Long tail keywords generate traffic the most, so instead of focusing on single/common terms like “fitness”, it’s ideal to use a keyword like “fitness tips for beginners” in your videos. SEO experts make use of keyword research tools that help them identify the most profitable keywords for YouTube videos. Integrating these keywords into your content will drive more traffic or views.
Optimize Your Videos:
To improve your rankings, focus on the three important elements of your video – title, description, and tags.
- Include the primary/main keyword in your title, so that your video appears higher in the search results.
- Take the time to write a good description for your video, since it influences the ranking too. You may also post links to your website or products for improving conversions.
- Never ignore video tags, since it enhances the discoverability of your videos. Pick 5 to 10 tags that are relevant to your content.
Aim to Improve the Watch Time:
Just in case you didn’t know, watch time refers to the time spent by viewers in watching your videos. The more time they spend, the better is your ranking. YouTube prioritizes videos that help increase the watch time on their site. Use these tips to maximize your channel’s watch time:
- The initial 15 seconds of your videos should be enticing enough for the viewers to stay.
- Longer videos perform better than shorter ones. So, upload more videos with a duration of over 15 minutes.
- Create playlists containing a series of relevant videos. If your audience like the content, they’ll feel encouraged to watch the entire playlist.
YouTube SEO isn’t rocket science, but with good knowledge and experience, ranking your videos will be easier. Hire an expert who is well versed in video marketing, and you will see the results in no time!